News from the Nurse

How can I tell if my child is too sick to go to school? We utilize the guidelines published by the Student Attendance Review Board of El Dorado County:

  • Fever (100° or higher), Diarrhea or Vomiting: Please keep your child home until he/she has had 24 hours without any symptoms before returning to school.                                    

  • Sore Throat/Earache: The recommendation is to consult your health care provider to rule out infection, even when no fever is present.

  • Rash: Children with a skin rash should see a doctor, as this could be one of several infectious diseases.

Absences: If your child is going to miss 5 or more days of school, please call the Main Office to find out about an independent study program.

What if my child has an emergency at school? Be sure we have a signed Student Emergency Information card. Review and update your emergency cards as needed (i.e., If you move or change jobs). If your student is sick or injured, we always try to contact you first. If we are unable to reach you, we will then contact those on your emergency list who are authorized to pick up or release your child from school. Health Office personnel are trained in first aid and CPR. If your child is experiencing a life-threatening emergency, we will call 911 for assistance and then notify a parent or guardian.

Can my student take medication while at school? All medication, even over-the-counter remedies such as Tylenol or Motrin, require authorization from both a parent/guardian and a physician. Please call or come by the Health Office to pick up a medication form. Most medicine is kept in the Health Office; if your doctor permits it (there’s a place on the medication form to note this), your student may carry their own medications at school. Medications must be in their original labeled containers.

Diabetes, Anaphylaxis and other significant medical situations: Please call the Health Office as additional consents may be needed. We must have current orders from your doctor for your student to have insulin, glucagon, Epi-Pens, or other pertinent medications at school.

What if my child needs to use crutches or has a cast? We will need a doctor’s permission to allow the use of these and similar medical devices. Please have the doctor also indicate any specific limitations, and if applicable, what date the student may resume activities at school.

What if my student needs to be excused from PE? Parents may write a note to excuse PE for up to 2 days. For longer periods, we will need a doctor’s note. Please have your student bring PE notes to the Health Office.

What health information about your student would you like to inform us of? Please review and update the Student Emergency Information card we send home each year. Please note any allergies to food or medications, chronic or recurrent illnesses, and what medications your child is taking. Current information is helpful as it may affect your student’s schoolwork and their safety. Please call our office anytime to update or add to your student’s medical information.