McKinney-Vento - Homeless Education Assistance Information

Information for Parents

If your family lives in any of the following situation:

  • In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground

  • On the street

  • In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodations

  • In shared housing with friends or relatives because you cannot afford housing

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act provides protections for your preschool-aged and school-aged children.

Your children can:

  • Go to school, no matter where you live or how long you have lived there.

  • Continue in the school they attended when you became homeless, if feasible.  If a school with a written explanation, and you have the right to appeal the decision.

  • Receive transportation to the school they attended before your family became homeless or the school they last attended, if you or a guardian requests such transportation.

  • Enroll in school without giving a permanent address.  Schools cannot require a proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.

  • Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records, or any other documents required for enrollment.

  • Receive special programs and services, if needed.

When you move, you should do the following:

  • Contact your school district's local liaison for homeless education for help in enrolling your child in a new school or arranging for your child to continue in his or her former school.

  • Contact the school and provide any information you may think will assist the teachers in helping your child adjust to new circumstances.

  • Ask the local for homeless education for assistance with required school clothing (e.g., P.E. clothing) and supplies, if needed.

For further assistance, please contact:

Angie Lind, Senior Director
Curriculum, Instruction and Accountability
El Dorado County Office of Education
(530) 295-2306