Interdistrict Transfer Process/Application

Interdistrict Transfer Request

  • Families that reside outside Mother Lode USD boundaries must start their Interdistrict Transfer Request at their home district

  • Families that reside in Mother Lode USD and are requesting their child(ren) attend a different school district, must apply for an interdistrict transfer beginning at Mother Lode.

  • If your application is denied (incoming/outgoing), you may request a hearing with the El Dorado County Board of Education (EDCOE), 530-622-7130. The appeal must be filed within 30 days of the date of notification that was denied.

Some reasons that the district may approve or deny Interdistrict transfer request per Board Policy 7.10 Interdistrict Attendance

  • When the student has been determined by the staff of either the district of residence or district of proposed attendance to be a victim of an act of bullying as defined in Education Code 48900(r). Such a student shall be given priority for interdistrict attendance under any existing interdistrict attendance agreement or, in the absence of an agreement, shall be given consideration for the creation of a new permit (Education Code 46600)

  • To meet the childcare needs of the student.  Such a student may be allowed to continue to attend district schools only as long as he/she continues to use a childcare provider within district boundaries

  • To meet the student's special mental or physical health needs as certified by a physician, school psychologist, or other appropriate school personnel

  • When the student has a sibling attending school in the receiving district, to avoid splitting the family's attendance

  • When the parent/guardian provides written evidence that the family will be moving into the district in the immediate future and would like the student to start the year in the district

  • The superintendent or designee may deny the initial request for interdistrict attendance permits due to limited district resources. overcrowding of school facilities in the relevant grade level, or other considerations that are not arbitrary

  • Within 30 calendar days of a request for an interdistrict permit, the Superintendent or designee shall notify the parents/guardians of a student who is denied an interdistrict attendance regarding the process for appeal to the County Board of Education as specified in Education Code 46601

Additional Information

  • Once an Interdistrict Request is submitted and received, the district will notify you no later than 14 calendar days following the beginning of the school year for which enrollment is sought

  • Students who are approved to attend MLUSD based on employment may need to annually provide current verification of employment (i.e., check stub, verification of employment on letterhead, etc.)

  • When a student is transitioning from one school to another school in the district (i.e., Indian Creek ES to Herbert Green MS ) a new Interdistrict Request is required.