Special Education


The Mother Lode Union School District serves all students who are found eligible by an educational evaluation under the Individuals with Disability Education Act (IDEA) and are dedicated to ensuring that they receive a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) in their Least Restrictive Environment (LRE). This is accomplished by working collaboratively with families, students, staff, and community agencies to promote student success.

The El Dorado County SELPA is please to share the Local Plan and the 2022-23 Annual Amendment Local Plan Section D: Annual Budget Plan, Local Plan Section E: Annual Service Plan, and the Attachments.  The purpose of the Local Plan is to: 

  • Outline the special education policies/procedures that are offered throughout the SELPA.

  • To assure access to special education and related services for all individuals with exceptional needs residing within the geographic areas served by the plan.

  • To ensure compliance with all federal and state codes and statutes this year, Local Plan Section D: Annual Budget Plan, Section E: Annual Service Plan and Attachments are the only revised sections of the Local Plan. You can review the Local Plan at the following link:

Local Plan Documents  

Additional hard copies of the plans are available at the El Dorado County SELPA office. 

District Special Education Contacts

Evan Eropkin, School Psychologist (530) 622-6464 x327

Larry Mahoney, Director of Curriculum, Instruction, and Accountability (530) 622-6464 x460


Notice of Parent Procedural Safeguards - (English & Spanish)

SELPA Community Advisory Meeting Dates Brochure - (English & Spanish)

El Dorado Community HUB, Community Hubs offer classes, groups, and activities for expectant parents and families with children ages 0-18. They are staffed by a team of family engagement, literacy and health specialists and located in Cameron Park and the Placerville Library. Call or Text (833) 322- 4827.

First Five, Offer parenting classes and support for students ages birth to 5 years old.

MORE Program Services, MORE serves adults with developmental disabilities, providing life skills and vocational instructional programs. 

UC Davis Mind Institute, Located in Sacramento, the MIND Institute provides classes and support for individuals with autism.

American Society for Deaf Children

California Department of Developmental Services Early Start Program

Down Syndrome Information Alliance

Family Voices of California

Society of the Blind Sacramento

Special Olympics Northern California

California Department of Education’s Special Edge Newsletter

Notice of Destruction of Student Records

Mandatory Interim Pupil Records must be kept for three years after a student leaves or the records are no longer useful. The Mother Lode Union School District will be destroying Special Education records of students with a date of birth that falls on or before December 31, 1998. Records will be destroyed on June 30, 2020. This will include electronic and hard copies of records.

If you wish to obtain a copy of your records, you may go to Mother Lode Union District Office located at 3783 Forni Road, Placerville CA to place a request for records in writing. Your request will be processed within 5 business days. If you have questions about obtaining records, you may contact your site principal.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

  1. Who should I contact if I suspect my child would be eligible for special education supports and services?

    1. Please speak with your child’s teacher or school principal.

  2. If my child has an IEP and I am new to the Mother Lode Union School District, who do I contact?

    1. When enrolling your child at one of our school sites, please provide a copy of your child’s IEP.

  3. If my child is preschool age, how do I request an assessment?

    1. Please contact the Director of Student Support Services or the District School Psychologist.

  4. How is a student determined eligible for special education?

    1. Following an educational assessment, the student’s IEP team is responsible for making a determination as to whether or not the assessment results demonstrate that the student requires special education supports and services in order to access his or her education. In making a determination of eligibility, a student shall not be determined to be an individual with exceptional needs if the determining factor is one of the following:

      1. Lack of appropriate instruction in reading

      2. Lack of appropriate instruction in mathematics

      3. Due primarily to limited school experience or poor school attendance

      4. Is a result of environmental, cultural difference, or economic disadvantages

      5. Could be corrected through other interventions and supports offered within the general education program

      6. Limited-English proficiency

  5. If my child has a medical diagnosis, are they eligible for an IEP?

    1. In order to determine eligibility for special education, all students, regardless of whether or not they have obtained a medical diagnosis, shall participate in an educational assessment to determine eligibility under one of the following areas:

      1. Specific Learning Disability (SLD)

      2. Other Health Impairment (OHI)

      3. Emotional Disturbance (ED)

      4. Speech or Language Impairment (SLI)

      5. Autism (AUT)

      6. Intellectual Disability (ID)

      7. Hard of Hearing (HH)

      8. Deafness (DEAF)

      9. Visual Impairment (VI)

      10. Orthopedic Impairment (OI)

      11. Deaf-Blindness (DB)

      12. Multiple Disabilities (MD)

      13. Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) 

  6. What is a 504 Plan?

    1. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973/Public law 93-112 is a comprehensive law that addresses the rights of persons with disabilities and applies to all agencies receiving federal financial assistance.

  7. Who qualifies for a 504 Plan?

    1. In order to qualify for protection under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the individual must have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity such as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, or working.

  8. How do I request a 504 Plan?

    1. Please contact the District 504 Coordinator, Jason Dupree